If you’re only vaguely aware of how bad 2018 was in terms of worldwide cybersecurity, let’s recap:
In January, the value of one Bitcoin rocketed to $20,000, providing more incentive for hackers to launch ransomware campaigns (which need untraceable currencies to anonymously collect their bounties).
- Also in January, the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities put almost every computer on the planet at risk of a new form of cyberattack.
- In spring, Equifax disclosed that an additional 2.4 million people were affected by its historic data breach.
- In November, Marriott announced that 500 million people who had previously made reservations had their personal information exposed in a breach that went undetected for years.
- An end-of-year study found that “123456” and “password” retained their spots as the most commonly used passwords.
Unfortunately, hackers show no signs of slowing down. But the coming years will afford small- and medium-sized businesses unprecedented opportunities to deal with these threats on their own terms. The complexities and costs of data security services are at all-time lows, which means there’s no reason to keep putting them off.
Remote monitoring and management is effective and economical
Think back over the past year; how many times did you need IT support for a simple issue? Maybe the office network was running slow or a server needed to be rebooted; either way, you had to wait for a technician to become available. Today, there’s no reason to sit around and wait when there are managed IT services providers like Capstone IT offering 24/7 network monitoring for a flat monthly fee.
Sometimes referred to as remote monitoring and management (RMM), this service ensures that someone is watching over your data even when no one is in the office. Hackers love to poke and prod your network in the middle of the night because they assume it gives them time to cover their tracks before your IT technician shows up to review the overnight logs with a cup of coffee. If you don’t have 24/7 monitoring, it’s time to make a change.
“Security conscious” should be required for all new hires
Although RMM solutions, AI-powered firewalls, and countless other solutions are making it extremely difficult to break into corporate networks, most data breaches aren’t even the result of vulnerabilities in IT systems!
Hackers have a much easier time crafting schemes that overwhelm, confuse, or guilt their victims into giving up information they shouldn’t. Just watch this social engineer gain access to a cell phone account in a matter of minutes using nothing more than a recording of a crying baby.
Our team offers security awareness training events, but even we admit that’s not enough. Your employees need to be thinking about these issues at all times, even when they’re not dealing with IT support.
Never worry about the costs of a breach again
We’ve written dozens of articles featuring SMB-friendly cybersecurity tips, but sadly, every single one comes with an asterisk: No business or network is 100% impenetrable. From hackers discovering previously unknown flaws to employees accidentally or intentionally exposing data, we live in a dangerous world.
However, business owners don’t need to factor the costs of a data breach into their rainy day funds. Cyber insurance coverage includes privacy protection, breach costs, ransomware demands, data recovery, and certain forms of liability. Combined with a multilayered network security service, you’ll be one of the only small businesses in town with all its bases covered.
One solution, no confusion
We don’t see vendors or IT service providers in our communities providing truly comprehensive security at affordable prices, which is why we put all our efforts into creating an essential security package for MSBs called capSecure. It’s an easy way to start and finish 2019 squeaky clean.
- Step 1: Our team conducts an exhaustive assessment of the digital and physical safeguards guarding your data.
- Step 2: We deploy security layers and provide employee security training available to protect your business.
- Step 3: You receive ongoing security layer, dark web monitoring and security training that's priced according to the size of your business and the risks it faces.
If your business is located in Rochester New York, Buffalo New York, West Palm Beach or the Treasure Coast of Florida, get in touch with us today for a no-pressure presentation of what your customized capSecure solution would look like. For more details on capSecure for SMBs visit https://www.capstoneitinc.com/capsecure/